I am mostly vegan (for 6 years now)- Most days of the week. However, If I want pizza with cheese on it once in a while- I do. Cause PIZZA. Well that is my absolute favorite food. Not gonna lie. But vegan pizza is good too! I love that a 'vegan option' anywhere is becoming more normal. Cashew cheeze is my favorite thing- as most of you know, if you follow me on instagram @TheDailyKale - I put it on EVERYTHING. I'm in the works of creating new forms of cashew cheeze. But for now, the cashew cheeze I make is more like a crema, and can be turned into an alfredo creamy sauce as well. I love it.
But so lets get back to the basics. If you'd like to try a plant based diet. Do it! Try it for 7 days. Not a huge commitment. Just a little chance to experience something new! Try new recipes, etc.
Things to have on hand would be grains, beans, and vegetables. You want to make that the base of your meal. And then you can add fun stuff on top of that. Like a sauce you can make or even avocado or guacamole. I recommend my cashew cheese sauce for a topping, pesto, thai almond sauce, and tahini sauce. All are very simple sauces to make- Just need a food processor. So lets recap. An easy way to make a plant based filling meal is :
- Grain: Quinoa, white or brown rice, whole wheat pastas, gluten free pastas, millet, buckwheat.
- Legumes: Lentils, Black beans, adzuki beans, and pinto beans. (Any bean/lentil you'd like)
- Vegetables: Any and all.
- Topping : Sauces, Avocado, & Guacamole
Obviously you can make other things- much more interesting and unique things- but I just want to be clear on this first part- that it can be as simple as this. Literally just make your meal one part legumes, one part grain or potatoes or both, and then with the addition of legumes. You can always have tofu & or tempeh as well. I have post a previous recipe for tempeh taco meat that I really like to add to my burrito bowls.
So knowing the simplicity of the structure of your meals now, you can have fun! It's so easy to veganize your meals and it not be boring. I will recommend some simple things you can throw together for your next lunch or dinner:
*IF you are looking to have a low carb meal- you can replace any rice for cauliflower rice or pasta noodles with zucchini noodles. Tacos : Lettuce shells.
- Burrito Bowls or burrito : Black beans, rice or quinoa, cashew cheeze, chopped red onion & tomato, cilantro, squeeze of lime if you want a zing. & you can add romaine or steamed kale or any vegetable you'd like. Top with shredded carrots, purple cabbage. Get creative! - Or you can wrap it all in a whole wheat tortilla for a burrito. Or make tacos with organic non gmo corn tortillas. Also, NACHOS! I love to get chips + guacamole + have a bowl of beans topped with pico de gallo & cashew cheeze, and nachoosssssss. (Check ingredients of chips- their sneaky with adding dairy for no apparent reason).
- Asian stir fry. Any and all veggies you like! Stir fried with rice & baked tofu (marinated in teriyaki or just soy sauce). Garnish with scallions. So good! You can make the same thing with chow mein also, using buckwheat noodles instead of egg noodles.
- Italian: Pastas, Lasagna. Pasta Bakes. You can make an amazing ricotta out of tofu. I have before, it's sooooo good! Can also replace noodles for zucchini for a low carb dinner! A standard simple meal I make is just whole wheat pasta with pesto, marinara or just cashew cream sauce. Add broccoli, spinach or any other green vegetable in there! Super fast lunch or dinner.
- Other ideas: Green smoothies, tofu summer rolls with peanut sauce for dipping, creamy butternut squash or potato/vegetable soups, acas bowls for breakfast- avocado toast, peanut butter with sliced banana toast, whole wheat wraps filled with veggies, tofu & hummus or any other sauce or spread.
This is just the beginning! You can do whatever you like! All of our taste buds are different. Go try new things & make new things! There are so many recipes out there, so many vegan restaurants. Remember that there is always back up on the frozen aisle too. If your looking for a quick dinner & don't want to make anything- there is always Gardein/Beyond Meat products. Like their chicken tenders. Or veggie patties for a burger. You're not limited! You have an abundance of options. It's about getting creative & having fun. I hands down have more fun with food now because I love veganizing my favorites.
I hope you'll take a look around my website & try out some of my recipes! Remember if you happen to share a pic of your recreation tag it #thedailykale.
Have a great weekend ya'll!