I love how comforting it is.
It's a beautiful golden yellow color too. My absolute favorite color.
If you end up making this- please let me know how you liked it!
Tag #thedailykale or @thedailykale on instagram so I can see your re-creations!
Curried Lentil Soup
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked red lentils
- 1 1/2-2 cups water or veggie broth
- 1/2 red onion (chopped)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1-2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. ginger powder
- 1-2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp. tamari
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- cilantro (I add in a little at the end -just before blending & for garnish)
- pink or sea salt, to taste
- In a sauce pan coated with a little coconut oil, sauté the chopped onions & garlic on a low heat.
- Lower the heat more and add in the spices. Make sure to coat the onions & garlic completely with the spices.
- Stir in the uncooked, dry lentils. Making sure to coat them completely with the spices and the onions and garlic.
- Now pour in the can of coconut milk, bring to a light simmer.
- Add in the water or veggie broth. Stirring. Bringing back to a light simmer.
- Cover with a tight lid and cook for about 10-15 minutes, until the lentils are soft & tender.
- Move to a blender to puree the soup. This step is optional if you prefer a chunky soup. But I love smooth creamy, pureed soups. I also like to tweak the recipe here if need be. In the blender I add in more spices or salt if it needs it. You can also add in more water or veggie broth to thin it out, if need be.