VEGAN MEXICAN FIESTA PIZZA
For the amazing SIMPLE cornmeal crust:
- 1/2 cup organic Cornmeal (grits or actual cornmeal, either works- however I prefer using polenta/grits)
- 1 cup Whole Wheat flour or GF Flour (I'll leave that up to you.)
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- Preheat oven at 450.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well blended.
- Dry first, then add in oil & water.
- Now place it on parchment paper and create your circle shape for your pizza. I take a fork and spatula and continue flattening it out as much as I can. But you can also use your fingers to press it out. I like to have a thick crust. But if you like it thinner, spend more time flattening it out even more. Because when it bakes it will rise even more. Regardless, tastes so good!
- Once you've done that, place in oven at 450 for about 7 minutes, until crust is established and no longer moist.
*Note* I do go crazy with the spices. By all means, use whichever ones you'd like. I like to go for a very flavorful crust : )
Make sure it's even spread on top. I made two pizzas, so I blended 1 can of cooked organic beans with no added salt. I also added spices into that while it was processing. Such as paprika, chipotle powder, a pinch of sea salt, cayenne, garlic powder and cumin. But you can add whatever you'd like.
Next up you want to spread salsa on top of the bean spread. Then add your toppings. The toppings are totally up to you! But I added chopped onions, chopped bell peppers and jalapeños. Then put back in the oven for about 7-10 minutes. Until desired crispiness. I don't like mine to well done, so I did about 7 minutes. But some people like their crust extra crispy (Like my boyfriend).
Once that is done now you want to add your final toppings, the ones you won't be cooking. I added chopped green onions, chopped cilantro, jalapeño cashew cheeze and avocado. I love this crust so much. I will probably never attempt a yeast crust again, cause this is way to simple & fast for all that time you wait for yeast to rise. No thank you. I absolutely love cornmeal crust & this hits the spot. Enjoy!